Monday, August 8, 2011

Insanity- The Asylum

Guest blog by Jon Nicholson.


The program was titled Insanity: The Asylum - Volume 1 - Sports Performance.
What drew me to it was two-fold:
1- I didn't want to lapse out of the work-out routine I had grown accustomed to. I wanted a structured challenge.
2- This program was ALSO led by Shaun T from Insanity, and his style and motivation suited me fine.
When I saw some videos online of exactly what this program would entail, I thought: "No WAY can I do that."
It was kind of unexpected considering how positive and empowered I felt after finishing Insanity.
He's the difference as I saw it then: Insanity was a battle of cardio and time.
The schedule of 6 days a week for 9 weeks was brutal, but once I got the moves down, there were very specific points when I knew the only battle would be adhering to the schedule.
Asylum, however, physically, appeared to be in another category. Jump rope, agility ladder, pull-up bar... contrary to Insanity that relied only on my body as the training tool.
Asylum was a 6-week, 5 day / week course though... so less grueling? Seemed like a trap.
I watched the 2-minute highlight videos for the various workouts: Speed and Agility, Strength, Back to Core, Vertical Plyometrices, Game Day and Overtime.
Theory was that every 2 weeks you complete a "Game Day" that tests all the training you do.
The last two "Game Day" workouts also include "Overtime" making the workout over 75 minutes.
Here's some of the routine highlights.




I seriously worried I couldn't do this. I has some trepidation about my Achilles during Insanity. Sure the doctor said it would heal as strong or even stronger than before, but I'm guessing he didn't anticipate me training like a professional athlete...
I ordered the Asylum regardless. I needed to keep my momentum going.
I finished the 6-week program yesterday. (like Insanity, I don't know anyone who has completed this either)
Hands down, it was the most difficult thing I've ever done physically and mentally for a workout.
In addition, what I learned was different too.
There are particular moves in the program that seem impossible- physically impossible, even THOUGH the instructor and class does them.
Major mental hurdles. One example:
In a push-up position, (in the down part of it), you leap out of the position, thrusting your legs forward and your feet land where your hands were, except now you're standing up. One motion.
As I held the pushup position, I was frozen. I couldn't visualize the feeling of it, the energy required. I could only imagine failing.
Question: If you cannot visualize yourself doing something outside of your comfort zone how do you do it?
The first time through this section, I skipped it.
There are 3-4 other moves in Asylum that fall into this category: Ridiculous moves requiring explosive plyometric power, flexibility, and sheer force of will.
There were moments when my mind just stuck me in place, rationalizing the fear.
The instructor reminded me: "You are an athlete. You GRADUATED Insanity, now you PUSH THROUGH."
and "This is when it all counts. You're exhausted. Your body is broken down. NOW is the time where you're going to keep going and get the rewards. THIS is where it really matters and what will change everything." and "I know you're tired. I don't care. You MOVE!"
As the weeks progressed I broke through these mental barriers, one by one. Not every break-through was perfect or even successful, but I didn't let my ability to ALMOST do the move stop me from trying harder the next time.
By the end of the program, I could do ALL of the moves, even the impossible ones.
So there's the value, and the reason I learned. Even after being successful at something (like Insanity), there were STILL mental barriers.
Success doesn't magically disintegrate mental hurdles. They will always be there, but now I know that I WILL get through them, if not physically, then fine, but it won't be because my mind refuses my body the chance.
My mental action forced the confrontation over my perceived physical limitations.
My mind, and only my mind, was the jailer and the paroler.
6 weeks of reprogramming, violent effort at times, and a brutal physical challenge leaves me today stronger than I've every been physically, but more importantly, absolutely CLEAR on how my mind and body must work together for such extreme challenges.
I can't wait to take on the next challenge....

No comments:

Post a Comment