Thursday, August 4, 2011

Good News and Bad News

Big thanks to Jon for taking me up on the offer for a guest blog. I am so inspired by what he was able to accomplish and maintain with his exercise and diet program. What surprised me even more was hearing him talk about how a limiting belief he had about himself (thin-athletic) was demolished through commitment to his goal. His self-perception as a thin person changed when the action he took resulted in a growing muscular physique.

Actions shape self-perception.

He brought up a critical point that he doesn’t know anyone else who finished the program. Neither do I. It’s incredibly grueling. Sixty-three days of strict diet and 1000-calorie/hour exercise.

I read his blog and saw his challenges as he was experiencing them. I saw the days when he was worn out, sore and worried about potential injury. These were the same things that had stopped me in the past. He didn’t stop. And by not stopping when most would, he changed a limiting belief through action.

His actions epitomize the thinking behind “Smart as a Mouse.” Pick a goal and approach it like there’s no other choice.

I think about the challenge Jon set for himself and I am inspired to set my own. What it/they are, I’ll let you know. There’re other steps I need to take first. But I’m going to take them fast.

Jon’s post is a good news/bad news reminder for people looking to take their life to the next level:

The Bad News: There’s no secret to success.

The Good News: There’s no secret to success.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the positive feedback. Historically I wouldn't consider myself someone who really stuck to things. My interests vary so widely that often I'm onto something else before really exploring the other thing to the limit.

    Especially for exercise, the difficulty is that you don't really SEE the positive results quickly. That can lead to a feeling of "why am I doing this?"
    The Insanity program really maximizes the speed at which you see results IF and ONLY IF you don't miss workouts and you eat perfectly.
    Those 2 last bits are the kicker.

    Really, that's how I began the challenge to myself: I said "IF I'm going to really commit 63 days, I want to get the best possible outcome, otherwise what's the point?"

    And yes, there were tough days and a minor knee injury (from golf oddly enough) but neither stopped me.

    I agree: there are no secrets to success. It's well-documented. Work hard. Don't lie to yourself. Do the things that will help you succeed, not fail.

    I would say that I experienced some mental transformation during Insanity, but I really grew to understand it during the next program I did: Asylum... and I'm looking forward to posting aoing about that.

    ReplyDelete