Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sometimes, somebody else has already said it better...

I love this quote from Viktor E. Frankl's, Man's Search for Meaning


"The pessimist resembles a man who observes with fear and sadness that his wall calendar, from which he daily tears a sheet, grows thinner with each passing day. On the other hand, the person who attacks the problems of life actively is like a man who removes each successive leaf from his calendar and files it neatly and carefully away with its predecessors, after first having jotted down a few diary notes on the back. He can reflect with pride and joy on all the richness set down in these notes, on all the life he has already lived to the fullest. What will it matter to him if he notices that he is growing old?"


Too often over the past few years, I've allowed myself to get caught up in the tasks that need to get done rather than celebrate the accomplishments.  You lose track of all of your successes when you see the deadline (literally or figuratively) racing towards you.  


I've been so busy that there were times when I almost gave up on writing.  Forget drive and passion; who has the time?


After reading Frankl's book, I worry less about the time I have left and prefer to focus on how I will spend the time I have now.


When I look at things Frankl's way, it seems silly that I would think that I would not find time to write.  And if I find the time each day then I'm sure the notes jotted down on the back of my torn calendar sheets will add up to a pretty good story.

3 comments:

  1. What about a story about a guy who writes a novel on calendar sheets. I mean who USES paper calendars anymore anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can think of a better way for me to get my Far Side comic fix, I'd like to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... good point. Can't argue Far Side.

    ReplyDelete