Saturday, October 1, 2011

A mentor, editor and writer all wrapped up into one

I met Melanie Fogel over 5 years ago, through a creative writing course she offered (and still offers) through the Ottawa School Board's Continuing Education program. Her course caught my eye because she was the editor of Storyteller magazine through the fifteen years it was in existence.  I scoured enough local writing courses to know that its rare to find a course taught by anyone who is more than a hobbyist.  I jumped on the opportunity.

She told us that its difficult to teach people how to write, but she was able to draw on her experience in reading through endless slush piles to provide  examples of how not to write.  We learned how you can lose a reader by the end of the first paragraph.  How not to leave the reader with a sense of So what? by the end of the story and how if you cant summarize your story in a single sentence, youre probably in trouble.  It was an excellent course and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in developing their writing skills.  

I was especially fortunate in that she saw something in me and chose to continue to offer mentorship with my writing ever since.

Her latest short story, Pied-à-Terre, can be found in Cutting Block Press' Tattered Souls II Anthology.  A preview can be found here.  

Congrats on another publication, Melanie!

No comments:

Post a Comment